Pular para o conteúdo principal

Bad Religion in Curitiba - 1996


Those were the early days of internet, especially in Brazil.

Luckily, I was an engineer student in a Federal University in Curitiba. Internet in Brazil was a privilege of some universities (mine included), so I had access to the web. And I had e-mail.

It was the early days of 1996 and I was working as a student researcher in the AI lab of my college. It was boring, and I loved rock´n´roll, as all smart and bored kids did. Since 1993, after a disastrous attempt to play an RPG game at a friend´s house, I met the band that would change my life forever, Bad Religion (@badreligionband). How I met the band is a long and different story, but since then I became a huge fan and started a punk rock band thanks to them.

Well, back to the lab and the e-mail access, after long hours of research, and thanks to the naivety reigning on the early days of the web, I managed to find out the e-mail of Bad Religion´s manager at the time, Michele Ceazan (@monsqueeze). So I wrote her.

I can´t remember the content of the e-mail in details, and unfortunately I was not smart enough to save it, but basically I was telling Michele that it was a shame that Bad Religion had never played in Brazil, and that they should do it ASAP once they had a huge fan basis down here. Her answer was unexpected and cute: “Nobody ever asked us to come down and play”. Well, I had a mission. As I was already involved on the underground punk rock scene in Curitiba, I found some names and contacts and sent it to her.

My memory sucks, so I´ll never remember if it was thanks to the contacts I provided or not, but later that year, two days after playing in Sao Paulo as one of the bands at a festival called Close Up Planet, which had the Sex Pistols as headliners (of course I was there), my favorite band in the world was playing in my home town, less than a mile from home. They didn´t play in Rio, Belo Horizonte or any other big capitals in Brazil. They played at Curitiba, and that was everything.

The place was called Aeroanta and Michele asked me to come by the sound check and meet the guys. Well, no need to tell what it means to a kid that loves a band, and started a band thanks to them, to meet his idols. So in the afternoon of December 1st 1996, I was at the parking lot of Aeroanta, waiting for Michele to call me in.

I brought a demo tape and a terrible homemade T-shirt of Confusion Oba!, my band at the time. I gave it to Greg Graffin (@greggraffin) and got a baseball cap of the band in return. I took pictures with the guys (as you can see), and only Graffin is missing, because of the unfortunate decision of taking the picture with my now ex-girlfriend (one should always find a way to take a backup picture alone for every major event when under 30s). Jay Bentley (@jaybentleys) was the one I spent more time with, talking about Harley Davidson motorcycles, a shared passion.
Minutes before the soundcheck, both Gregs asked me which song I would like to hear later that night. I took my chances giving the guys 3 options, my 3 all-time favorites then, You, Portrait of Authority and I can´t remember the third. But I do remember they looking at each other and saying in unison “Portrait”. And so they played it. I was unbelievably overwhelmed that night. Jumped, danced, sang like a maniac. I remember getting home, taking my guitar and writing like half a dozen songs. That´s how inspired I was by my idols.

After that I´ve seen the guys playing, in all different formations, for more than 10 times. But they never played Portrait of Authority again, at least not on my watch.

Comentários

Postagens mais visitadas deste blog

Macallan ou Momentary Lapse of Reason?

  Tudo é velho agora. Eu tenho rolhas de vinhos que tomei esses dias, datadas de 15 anos atrás. Livros de 2006 que ainda não li, datados também, com meu nome em cima. Tenho filhos grandes, alguns empregos no currículo, lembranças que se confundem. E me confundem. Acho que datados não são os livros, ou as rolhas de vinho. Datado sou eu. Mas não me sinto assim, o que provavelmente é bom. Ou talvez patético. Fiz uma tatuagem nova outro dia. A tatuagem é nova, os temas antigos. Bandas que gosto há mais de 30 anos, um livro que escrevi há mais de 10. Tudo é velho agora. Os souvenires, os quadros, os móveis e principalmente os uísques. Os uísques são muito velhos, mas já foi-se o tempo em que todos eram mais velhos que eu. Hoje em dia nem todos, só os melhores. Talvez esse seja o segredo, ficar datado como os melhores uísques, não como os piores discos. Envelhecer, sei lá, mais como um Macallan do que como o Momentary Lapse of Reason. Falando em Momentary Lapse o Reason, o Pink Floyd

Nuke

Eu devia ter uns 12 anos quando o programa Fantástico, da Rede Globo, mostrou um especial sobre as possíveis consequencias à população de uma guerra nuclear, à epoca iminente. Isso foi muito antes de eu abandonar de vez a Rede Globo, mas com certeza ajudou na decisão. Aquela cena me marcou muito, para não dizer aterrorizou profundamente. Talvez só a participação do Minotauro no sítio do pica-pau amarelo tenha chegado perto na categoria “vamos deixar essa criança sem dormir por uns dias”. E não estou usando da força de expressão aqui. De fato fiquei meses sem dormir direito. Com dois irmãos mais novos, todos dormindo no mesmo quarto, eu era o que tinha a cama perto da janela. A rua que passava ao lado do nosso quarto era de paralelepípedos. Todos os dias, perto das 11 da noite (madrugada para uma criança – sim, com 12 anos ainda éramos crianças então), o caminhão de lixo passava por ali, com aquele barulhão característico dos caminhões de lixo, amplificado pelo efeito trepidante dos p

História de fim de dia

O pai chegou em casa cedo naquele dia. O pequeno estava na sala, com alguns amigos que tinham vindo com ele do colégio para brincar de videogame. A mais velha estava no quarto, com alguns amigos que não tinham vindo com ela do colégio, batendo papos virtuais. A mãe estava no banho. O cachorro em todos os lugares. Chovia lá fora. Como as crianças já estavam cansando de matar monstros e fazer curvas impossíveis, o pai resolveu contar uma história. Atividade antiquada essa de contar histórias, com a TV desligada, onde já se viu. Mas não demorou muito para o pequeno e seus pequenos colegas vidrarem seus pequenos olhos no pai, mal respirando. Era sobre um ser que viveu aqui por essas paradas, há muito tempo. Um ser verdadeiramente iluminado. Apesar de não ser humano, era amigo de todos. Cada vez que ele aparecia para uma visita, nem que fosse breve, todos se alegravam. Ele inspirava planos, sonhos, música. Enquanto o pai contava, a filha mais velha se juntou à gangue. Ouviu o silêncio